Skip to main content

It was a Friday Afternoon…

It was a Friday Afternoon…
I was restless through the day today. I got a message from you this morning that you want to meet and are coming over. It was on a Friday afternoon about a month or so ago when we had last met.
The door bell rang at the precise time you had indicated. You came in and sat on the blue velvet couch lying in the corner near the window. You switched on the Television set and surfed the channels mindlessly barely stopping for 10 seconds on each channel. I got you water and went back to make some coffee. The air in the room was heavy. It was difficult to stand there near you. Keeping down the coffee beside you, I softly asked what it was that had brought you here. You fiddled with your coffee mug, brushed your hand through your hair, rubbed your nose and then looked at me uncomfortably.
Bolo, What do you want to say?” I said shaking inside.
Rock hard exterior but my insides were churning. I had no idea what you would say, but I knew you were about to alter my world.
“I am getting married”.
“What”?
“Yes”!
“To whom? I mean who is the girl”?
“I had met her 4 months back”.
“Last 4 years you have not been able to decide whether you can marry me or not and in 4 months, you know you have to marry her”. I said my face flushing with anger.
You had no answers.
“Tell me is she better than me? How is she better, in brains, in beauty, in bed? Tell me?
You had no answers.
I was shaking with anger and you got up and held me tight. I wanted to rip apart but couldn’t free myself from your grip. My world was crashing down like the twin towers and here I was in the arms of my bomber. You freed me, picked up your keys and quietly left the house.
Minutes later, the door bell rang and I pulled myself to open the door. It was the courier guy. There was an envelop for me. I looked at the address and tried to open it in haste as if I knew what would be inside. As I read the contents printed on the crisp white sheet of paper I sank into the couch.
The ways of the world are strange...you had just left, walked out on me; and now you seemed to be walking in again through another door.
© Shubhra
27/10/09

Comments

Santosh Namby said…
Interesting reading, nice prose.....
Inexplicably said…
Engaging...beautiful.
Unknown said…
hi ma'am ..this is monika here..read your article ..truly amazing .... i loved the way you have written so thoughtfully which takes the person actually imagine the feelings which are hiddien deep inside ....
Max Babi said…
Very vivid, visual sketch in words, Shubhra -feels like just a sip of red wine, one hankers for more ! You should develop this into a longer one act play script.
Warmest
Max

Popular posts from this blog

You chose to be an artist...

More rejection Little acceptance More failures Few successes Years of endless hours alone Only some in the public eye...  Countless fiascos Few eureka moments Lots of black and grey Few Reds and yellows Many not-nows Few red dots with wows Many will say, awesome  You are an artist Few will understand,  why...  More times with no funds  Few with surplus More times of being in red Few in blue Many years of waiting Before the fame, if ever No retirement, no pension Ideas constantly brewing You chose to be an artist Unparallel joy To forget the pain Marks left  To go on after one has gone Issues immortalised Moments frozen  Emotions etched  Anger splashed Walls adorned Metro stations beautified  Homes brightened  Souls replenished Awards won Works validated  Articles written People inspired You chose to be an artist  A life never easy  Like a trek up the hill Incredible view; deep valley Two sides of the same coin A mixed bag my dear Anxiety and fear Endless thrill Satiated soul Artist... 

Rebel Tree

You were the 1st thing I noticed  When the car climbed up to clifton Standing tall  Branches twisted and entangled  Like the present day human relations All near you green and straight You were dancing to your own tune... I named you the rebel tree. You became my muse... I captured you  With the first rays of the morning sun  Mellow and yellow And with the last rays You a silhouette With the rising moon And the dramatic clouds I captured you just like that... You were the one where the barbets Perched and howled, much to Dudo's anguish You were the one where the birds rested before they flew off to the next and the next tree You were the one the langoors escaped to When Kishan and Sanju chased them You were also the one where the flying squirrel Took a pit stop before landing on the English oak You saw a lot, most of which I am not even aware But you saw me fall in love with you and the Ash tree and the English Oak and the Kalchunia a

A Single Woman

Men, whatever their status married or single whatever their age old or young want her Women, the married ones envy her space her freedom the younger ones idolize her success her independence Parents, worry and silently hope Bosses, prefer her to her married counterparts Friends, count on her for her availability They see success freedom independence space they see it all yet they don't see much most wanted and yet she feels so unwanted. Goes back at night to an empty house an empty bed sleeps cuddled with her teddy bear waking up alone to another day gets ready puts on her best dress and that dab of mascara with the mask on she is now ready to face life again to conquer a few more hearts to be wanted again Shubhra 17th March, 2007 edited on July 3, 2007